Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year

I love a new start.  When I was a classroom teacher, one of my favorite things about my career was that it was full of fresh starts.  Each day, each week, each month, each grading period, each semester, each school year was a time for a fresh start.  So I still look at my life as several cycles that piece together.  So I create fresh starts for myself.  Of course a natural time for a fresh start is a new year.  After all the holiday happenings, which included missed naps and way too much junk food, we are in desperate need for a fresh start.  Our fresh start is starting today.  It includes momma laying out clothes and preparing for the day last night, waking early to get started before the kiddos (which around here is hard to do), serving a healthy breakfast, hiding any leftover Christmas candy and goodies, getting to the Y early, having some learning time before lunch, naps right on time, cleaning the house, swim lessons, and having a healthy home cooked meal for supper, and spending time with God throughout the day.  That is the plan for the first day of our fresh start.  I will have to let you know how our fresh start went...so far so good.

What is even more comforting to me then the fresh starts I create for myself?  The one God created for me when he sent Jesus to wipe the slate clean.  That is a fresh start I could never create for myself, yet I need it more then anything else.  That truth is the only thing that makes my "fresh starts" worth it.  Because as we all know fresh starts only lasts so long, then our fallen world and sin nature get in the way.  So I cling to the fact that God created a fresh start for me.

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment