Sunday, July 24, 2016

Whirlwind Week

We have had a crazy week that came on the heels of a crazy week. I determined Sunday night after everyone was showered and in bed from an ice cream social at the park in extremely high temperatures and humidity, that I would not be waking them at a set time Monday morning. Emotions had been high and it was obvious everyone needed to sleep until their bodies woke themselves. So we got a slow start to our school work, but we were all the better for it. 

Tuesday we got some of our school done and then headed out to take Emilia to her 6 month well check. She is growing well, but is still a little peanut. She is 13.5 lbs and 25.5 in. We got home and had lunch and finished our work before rest time. 

Wednesday we had a full day at home which was good to fit some of the extras in during our short week. The kids also packed their backpacks for the flight to El Paso. I put together breakfast/snack boxes for them as our flight left at 5:30 am and we wouldn't be getting breakfast before we boarded. We try to avoid eating in the airports if at all possible. Wednesday afternoon I noticed our ac didn't seem to be working correctly. Especially given that is really wasn't that warm of a day. By the evening we were sure it was not working. We put a call in for a service call but they weren't available to come until the following day. 

Awaiting his turn and working on some school work.
Thursday we started the day at the dentist as 4 of the 5 kiddos had their cleanings. They all got a good report with no cavities. We ran a couple of errands that needed taken care of before we left Friday, then it was home to finish up school and packing. By this time of day, it was extremely warm outside and inside the house. The basement was cooler but still quite humid. I had to keep cleaning and packing as there were still several things that needed to be taken care of before we left. By 4:30 we had to take a break from the heat. So I loaded everyone in the van and headed to McDonalds. I planned to stay until the air was fixed, but unfortunately that wasn't in the cards. The outside unit had to be replaced and part of the inside unit. This couldn't be done that evening so it was back home to finish what had to be done to be ready to leave. Once Kyle got home around 8 we decided that we would go to sleep at my Mom's. It was just so warm and we all needed a good night's sleep before a day of traveling. So we rushed around to load the van. It made things a little crazy, but we were able to get a few hours of good sleep. 

Friday we woke up at 3:30 to get to the airport by 4:30. Even though it was a very early morning, the kids all did great and we had smooth travel. We arrived in El Paso in time for lunch, a quick swim, and then we all headed to Cattleman's Ranch. We had a wonderful dinner and enjoyable evening walk through the ranch. It was fun for Gram and Poppy to have all their grandchildren together for one evening. The other cousins flew home Saturday morning.

Saturday was a day full of swimming and also grocery shopping for the week. 

This morning we all went to church and then Taco Cabana for lunch. It is one of our favorite places to eat while visiting El Paso. This afternoon we did some napping and are planning some early evening swimming.

I think that sums up the last week...well except for finding a house, but I think I will keep those details for a separate post.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you didn't have AC while getting ready for your trip. Sounds like you made the best of it, anyway, which doesn't surprise me! I can't wait to hear about 'finding a house'!!