Friday, July 17, 2009

My Wedding Story


A fun blog I love to read has a homemaker moments each Friday and I am excited to get to join in the fun. The theme this week is telling your wedding story. I love weddings. So here is my wedding story. I married my high school sweetheart. Kyle was 22 and I had just turned 20. We had been engaged for almost 2 years, so we were very ready for our day. The college pastor and his wife had taken us through premarital counseling (which I highly recommend no matter how well you think you know your future spouse). They helped us not only have a very special day, but a successful start to our marriage as well. We planned an early wedding followed by a brunch reception. What can I say we didn't want to wait any longer. Our colors were blue and yellow, the sky was so clear, and we were surrounded by tons of family and friends. It was a beautiful service and after following great guidance from the Landon's we truly relaxed and enjoyed each other that day. Jeff gave a great message on the ABC's of marriage: Acceptance, Belief in one another, and Commitment. I often reflect on that message. The scripture focus we chose was from Colossians 3:12-17

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankfu
l. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Our first dance was to When I Fall in Love. After the reception we drove through Steak and Shake for some food, we ha
d been too busy to eat. Kyle ordered his food and then said, "My bride would like..." It made my heart smile. We headed to Columbus, OH for the night. Then drove to the Poconos in Pennsylvania for our honeymoon. We had an amazing time.

We had no idea that just a few short years later Jeff Landon, our college pastor, mentor, and true friend would be called home unexpectedly. He passed away studying God's word. His impact on us goes way past our wedding day. So when we learned our first child would be a son, we knew his name would be Landon. We pray our son will have a heart for the Lord just as his namesake did. So I guess that is a little more then just our wedding day story, but I can't help but include Jeff's legacy when I share about our wedding. We pray our marriage would leave a Spirit filled legacy too.


1 comment:

  1. This is such a great story! I love the namesake/legacy part...that makes it even more special i'm sure.
    Blue and yellow- I love that combo too. It sounds like a magical day. So real and down to earth...shouldn't marriage be looked at the same way?? Real life- not a fairy tale...
    Thank you so much for participating- You've blessed my day!

    ReplyDelete