Monday, October 26, 2009

Edwards Orchard and New Parents

I feel like I have spent the last few days trying to regain some order after our quick and enjoyable to trip to Northern Illinois last week. During our trip we spent an afternoon at Edwards Orchard. It was a beautiful place and God gave us a beautiful day to be there. Here are a few of my favorite pics from the day:









They had so much for the kids to do and most of it was free. I love fall and this was a perfect way to enjoy it. The weather was amazing, the apples were delicious, and the trees were beautiful.

We were actually in Illinois to visit friends of ours who have a new baby. It really got me thinking about all the advice new parents get...some they ask for and some they do not. When I was expecting Landon, I remember a well meaning mom suggesting a book to me she knew I would love since I was a teacher and enjoy have a schedule. She insisted it was the answer to all new baby woes. So I of course checked it out from the library, and found videos my husband and I could watch together. I set out ready to learn so much. As we got into the material both of us began to realize how flawed some of the information seemed to us. It talked about making your child fit your schedule as you were the authority in your home. A parent shouldn't change their lifestyle to fit the baby's, but rather the baby should be trained to fit the parents. The Bible does establish parents as authorities for their children, but does that really mean we don't take into consideration the little personality God has entrusted to us? I know Landon changed our routine for the better. He slowed us down, made us appreciate the simple things about each day. Now we set up guidelines and structure for him, but he taught us each day too. We learned to be more selfless, and depend on each other more. Then Elaine came along, and we adjusted again. All for the better.

I guess my point in all this is that I think that so many new parents get caught up in doing what they think they should. We worry about our child following the books, or behaving the way other parents think they should.
We forget that God has chosen us to be the parents of our particular child. Our family doctor reminded us of that at one of our first appointments with Landon, and I was so thankful for the reminder.

It is helpful to read parenting books, and talk with other parents, but just remember that God is the one we are accountable too. If the advice doesn't help you accomplish what God calls us to in His Word as parents, then don't loose sleep over it. If you are like me I loose enough sleep as it is.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
3 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment