Friday, October 16, 2009

Homemaker Moments: Define Your Role



This week's Homemaker Moment is about defining my role in my home. As Angie over at Homemaker Chronicles points out. It looks different for each of us. I have to admit that it took me a little while to figure out exactly how my role in our home would work. For the years I was in college (we were married for my Junior and Senior years) and then teaching, it was hard for me to balance work with homemaking. By the end of each summer I would kind of figure out a groove and then it would all get wrecked as I returned to school. Then when I changed careers to be home with our first born, it still took a little time to see how it would all work. As I am well into the 4th year of being home, I think I have really started to feel comfortable in my role. Meaning I have found a balance between maintaining the home, caring for the children, being a loving wife, and also taking care of myself. I enjoy planning meals, scheduling our days, tucking in my children, reading endless amounts of stories, and playing kitchen. I also look forward to Daddy walking through the door to give me a breather. I think it is important that we take time for ourselves too, whether it is relaxing or doing a hobby we enjoy. We should take care of ourselves, so we can be the moms and wives our families need. Sometime last year I came across a passage that I was very familiar with but it really spoke to me about my role as a Homemaker. I"ll leave you with it:

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:10-14

1 comment:

  1. Wow Katie, that was awesome! I guess I didn't see your link- did you leave one? Oh well, this is awesome as are all your posts. Thanks for coming to visit me too, I missed you last week :) but I'm glad you guys had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete